Careers / Insights
At Wray Ward (WW), the Insights Director is a client-facing marketing communications strategy leader who partners with our Client Engagement team to drive better performing work by helping client brands to make better business-driving marketing decisions through analyzing the marketplace, identifying opportunities and providing inspiring brand and audience insights.
The Insights Director (ID) owns Discovery, Insights and Strategic Planning by originating and guiding the agency’s strategic planning and discovery deliverables and employing a breadth of tools and resources. The ID is also an active participant with Wray Ward client brand teams leading strategy behind creative solutions and the measurements that gauge performance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities as Insights Director
- Leads brand positioning strategy and brand equity framework
- Leads Strategic Drills
- Conducts stakeholder interviews
- Works as a fully integrated member of WW brand teams with the Client Engagement team
- Provides leadership and guidance for WW brand team members on branding initiatives
- Develops accurate and insightful conclusions from research data and presents strategy and direction to the client
- Provides a strategic framework for measurement and works with Measurement Director and Account Lead to analyze, summarize and recommend measurement tactics that perpetuate better performing work
- Works closely with the Business Development team for new business efforts and proposals that focus or include Discovery/Insights/Strategy as deliverables
- Leads Strategic Planning/Insights/Discovery deliverables including the following:
- Monitors market, economic, cultural and social trends relevant to the home and building category and clients' businesses and interprets their impact on audience attitudes, behavior and perceptions, using a variety of market and research data
- Analyzes data detail, such as demographics, socioeconomics and the market, for the client’s brands along with information such as brand equity, market share and competitive analysis to achieve a comprehensive background that will foster the marketing communications strategy
- Identifies when primary research is needed, commissions and manages research as required to support brand positioning and marketing communications strategy using both qualitative and quantitative methods as appropriate, from focus group discussions and structured interviews to surveys, ethnographic studies or ad effectiveness studies
- Manages primary research specialists and provides clear specifications for actionable relevant research
- Researches client’s brand/product or service, which may involve gaining technical or specific knowledge
- Identifies the role for marketing communications in solving the business problem
- Recommends marketing communications strategy with marketplace discovery research/analysis and comprehensive brand landscape assessments
- Develops consumer segmentation and personas
- Crafts and develops customer experience/journey with experience briefs and experience maps that provide clear persuasive guidance and direction to brand team
- Partners with an Account Lead to:
- Provide the Creative team with a clearly defined brief that contains concise information on the brand, audience and strategy, enabling them to develop creative solutions that may be applied to a variety of effective media channels
- Provide information and actively participate in and support the Brand team in the Annual Planning
- Share relevant news and information on an ongoing basis that informs or impacts clients knowledge base and strategy
- Provides support during Ideation and Activation and then assumes leadership again, in partnership with Measurement Director, for post-campaign evaluation/measurement and future planning
- Actively seeks out new information resources to expand the agency’s home and building category expertise in support of Discovery, Planning and ongoing client relationship support
- Partners with the Director of Insights in proactively seeking ways to enhance the Insights portfolio of tools, services and deliverables to support Client Engagement, Creative and Connections teams in the development of better performing work
- Inspires a contagious passion for strategic creative solutions
- Models a conscientious, straightforward and dedicated work ethic
- Passionately upholds the agency brand, culture and values
- Collaborates among multiple agency teams effectively and efficiently
- Demonstrates excellent written, verbal and listening skills
- Is comfortable and adept in representing WW with a client’s senior management
- Demonstrates outstanding presentation skills in formal and informal settings and is an excellent meeting leader
- Communicates in a clear, coherent and professional manner
- Leads client teams with self-assuredness as well as sensitivity
- Maintains a candid professional relationship with other Wray Ward employees working closely with the Client Engagement team
- Experienced, effective communicator with Marketing Director and C-level audience
- Strong strategic thinker, with proven experience and skill set for leveraging and analyzing research and able to translate this into brand positioning, brand building strategy and action
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, strategy, business, communications, psychology or sociology
- 10+ years in brand management, marketing strategy, strategic planning, research
- Account Planning experience with a Marketing Communications agency preferred
This job description serves as an overall summary of responsibilities for the position outlined. Please note it is subject to change with specific expectations associated with the position.
Wray Ward is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not the practice of Wray Ward to sponsor individuals for work visas.
At Wray Ward, we firmly believe that internal and client relationships are a key to our success. Certain attitudes define how we work and are important in what we seek for our culture and mission. Key Agency attitudes are:
We, not me
We check our egos at the door. As a result, we thrive in a positive, collaborative atmosphere that welcomes diverse professionals and invites everyone to contribute their best.
Ask “what if?”
Always going beyond what is and considering what could be, we create unexpected possibilities that differentiate our brands and accelerate their success.
Creativity demands that we hold nothing back. So we mutually support each other in speaking up, taking risks and courageously contributing audacious, unedited, unconventional ideas.
Everything we do is about results. We not only achieve our clients’ goals, but continually exceed their expectations. Every person here shares individual responsibility for their own, our agency’s and our clients’ success.
Day in and day out, we will passionately create the most innovative, engaging and effective work in the home category – we will live it, we will breathe it, and we will own it.